Pantone Color of the Year 2014: Radiant Orchid!
Orchid (well, technically it’s purple with a dash of pink) is one of my absolute favorite colors in the world, so when I saw that Pantone’s 2014 Color of the Year was this delicious shade of magenta-violet, I dug around for some options.
On the nails, orchid is gorgeous. It goes with any skin tone, brightens up your outfit (and your day), and good colors are relatively easy to find among the cheaper ranges.
Essie Splash of Grenadine - this is a softer more muted orchid that leans towards pink. If purple’s too strong for you, this is a nice and quite subtle shade.
China Glaze That’s Shore Bright - the name says it all! This is a true orchid if you’re not afraid of color!
Revlon Plum Seduction - another shade that leans towards a magenta pink, but has a big shot of purple in it to keep things interesting.
On the lips, you can definitely opt to go strong, but don’t forget pretty oyster-pink glosses that give a hint of that tone without going into bright purple territory.
NYX Purple Rain lip pencil - a quick way to jazz up your existing pink glosses is to layer a bit of Purple Rain over your lips first. This pearlescent purple-pink is strong and pretty at the same time!
MAC Docile Lipglass - with a name like that, you know it’s not going to be a strong shade. This is a muted beige pearl with pinky-purple duochrome sheen. VERY subtle and soft.
MAC Up the Amp - the CLASSIC orchid mouth. This color is a must-try for anyone interested in wearing purple toned lipstick. In fact, make it your first stop. It looks a little duller beside the other 2 lipsticks, but it’s undeniably beautiful. (There’s a dupe from Revlon called Berry Haute which is available in some countries; if you can find that check that one out!)
MAC Flat Out Fabulous - this looks like a magenta beside the other lighter and less intense lipsticks, but it’s really a strong and saturated matte orchid once on the lips. Sadly, it’s a limited edition, and Nars Schiapp is close, but too pink to be a dupe.
Lime Crime Airborne Unicorn - Alright. If you aren’t going to wear anything but TRUE orchid on your lips, you need to check out Airborne Unicorn. This cult color is an insanely bright orchid-purple. But it’s also surprisingly pretty on the lips. Don’t knock it until you try it!
On the eyes, it gets a bit more tricky because the wrong orchid can make your eyes look swollen/sunken/bruised/all-types-of-bad. Here are some suggestions to wearing it.
- If purple is not your color on the lids, make sure you pair it with a little black or grey around the socket or outer V, as well as the lash line.
- Choose a duochrome. Pictured above is a loose pigment from I Nuovi called Ultraviolet, which is a purple with a duochrome pink shift. I would also highly-recommend pink/blue-shifting shades like MAC Stars n Rockets or Urban Decay Fishnet because they give that orchid tone without looking too flat.
- Go dark. An absolute knockout deep orchid purple is Too Faced Poison Orchid. (Lid swatch above applied over black base.) Probably one of the most under-rated purple shadows in the universe, because I’ve seen so many people spontaneously swear out loud when they swatch it and realise how beautiful it is. This is a duochrome black that looks almost blah in the pan, but shifts into the most intense, ridiculously beautiful orchid purple. (And how can you not love a name like that?)
What are some of your favorite orchid-toned products?
Shout out to the baddest cats in town, the new kids on the block, the cult classics upon birth -»
I am in love. This new, cutting edge collection of makeup is already a cult brand in our eyes. Kristin had the privilege of sitting down to learn about it with the creators and make up artist James Vincent. They gave her the breakdown on ‘how to wear' + 'how it’s made’.
1. Everything is created to have a long wear - a punk cannot have their eyeliner run during a show, nor can a marketing gal running in between meetings.
2. This line was in development for years in order to perfect the formulas - and it shows - the colors and quality are some of the best we’ve seen.
3. Don’t be intimated by the rocker-eqsue vibes, this line is surprisingly user-friendly, so if you’re rocking out in pajamas in your bathroom with nary a You Tube tutorial in sight, you’ll be fine.
A few things that deserve a shout out:
1. Punker Worlds Baddest Eyeliner - Kristin uses this fatty marker everyday. It has the capability of outlining a (serious) cat eye, or discretely filling in your lash line. This Eyes Like Fire Shadow Paint is insane as well. Actually the entire Punker Smokey Eye Set is worth it.
2. MODSTER Super Charged Lip Color - Dark blue, hot pink, and orange.. not your every day lip flavors - all of which are created with a blend of different undertones so that they blend with any skin color. Yes even the orange, Kristin as witness.
3. AMERICANA Custom Coverage Concentrate - I am personally in love with this product. 4 products in 1. I love a super concentrated formula for blemish coverage, but I love a very, very light foundation coverage, so I blend with my favorite moisturizer of the week. This is also amazing as an undereye concealer.
Explore the entire line here: http://www.ardencyinn.com/estore
Products c/o the brand, Image: Rabat Magazine
- Kristin & Ann